Sunday, August 31, 2008

Marco Scutaro


As an Oakland Athletics fan, Marco Scutaro was and forever will be one of my favorite Athletics of all-time. This guy was a savage when he played for us. He would just have clutch hit after clutch hit. I don't see why Billy Beane traded Marco Scutaro last season, he was not a starter like Nick Swisher and Dan Haren and it wasn't like he was going to start for the Toronto BlueJays.
Trading Marco Scutaro frustrated me at that time. But what also got me frustrated was how Billy Beane traded Swisher last season, as well as Rich Harden and Joe Blanton this year. And a couple of years before that he traded away Tim Hudson. And the list goes on and on of people Beanes and traded. There is also another list that of all the free agents that were also not signed like Jason Giambi, Miguel Tejada, and Barry Zito. It is not that I don't agree with the Moneyball strategy, it's just that I hate seeing my favorite players leaving our team to go to another team. It is like the A's is a minor league team to the rest of the MLB teams. And it also seems like the Moneyball strategy just keeps on going around and around in a circle. It starts from getting a lot of young players on the team, then those players start performing and the team makes the playoffs but they end up coming up short of the World Series. Then we trade all the good players away, for young prospects, and then we keep the not so good players or injury plagued guys (like how we kept Barry Zito and Eric Chavez instead of Tim Hudson and Miguel Tejada.) But I do understand that the A's are not as financially well off as other teams, so I guess Billy Beane knows what he is doing trading away beloved players like Marco Scutaro.

No comments: